To all new users: We have moved to [edmw.xyz]. See you there!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

“Poly is for idiots…Poly grads get ‘shitty’ jobs”, PR student’s dad advises to choose JC

+10
sayang_pillow
Nicolyh
Dan_bo
MyPillowTalks
Admin
chuakboon
mr_yang
goldwingseeker
satria_neo_2014
Shutterx
14 posters

Go down

“Poly is for idiots…Poly grads get ‘shitty’ jobs”, PR student’s dad advises to choose JC Empty “Poly is for idiots…Poly grads get ‘shitty’ jobs”, PR student’s dad advises to choose JC

Post by Shutterx 31st December 2015, 9:36 am

“Poly is for idiots…Poly grads get ‘shitty’ jobs”, PR student’s dad advises to choose JC

By The Independent -

December 29, 2015

Reddit is a social networking website where registered community members can submit content and then vote submissions up or down to organize the posts and determine their position on the site’s pages.

A Reddit member with the user-handle ‘rokkenjima-fragment‘, a frequent contributor to the site, asked for some advise on higher education and the post is getting a lot of traction on the networking site.

In the post, he said that he is a permanent resident of Singapore and that he did fairly well in the IGCSE exams – well enough to qualify for junior college or polytechnic. But his father advised him against enrolling in the local polytechnics because, “poly is for idiots…and and (poly grads) end up getting shitty jobs”.

The Reddit member finally decided on Pioneer of Jurong Junior College. His post (edited) in full:

“I’m an Indian Permanent Resident (PR) who’s been studying in international schools his whole life and now my parents want me to join a local junior college (JC).

i got 5 A*s and 2As in my O Level (IGCSE). just got my School Placement Exercise for Returning Singaporeans (SPERS) JC results, and I got Innova, Yishun, Jurong, Pioneer, Millenia, and my parents are rather ‘pissed’…lol.

Can anyone tell me what my options are? I’m assuming those JCs aren’t exactly the greatest, but it doesn’t really matter as long as i do well for my A level, right? Should i try to DSA (Direct School Admission) to a better JC? Or should i do Poly?

My dad hasn’t studied in the local system at all, but he always lectures me on how I absolutely HAVE to go to JC and that Poly is for idiots (which i’m assuming is untrue). He also says that the government funds Polys and gives them better facilities than JCs to attract students. So, more people go to Poly and end up getting ‘shitty’ jobs (because there is a shortage of people who want to work those jobs). Which honestly sounds like some conspiracy ‘shit’ to me. I really don’t know if he’s bullshitting or not. So, I need some external advice.

He also says pioneer JC is full of gangsters. Hope thats not true lol. I’m not sure if we have enough money to pay for another international school. i feel really disappointed in myself right now and i really need some advice on what to do next.

Also, i finished my O  Level 2 years ago. then i joined an IB school, but got burnt out really hard on the massive workload and my shitty subject combination (took biology instead of physics despite liking physics more since my parents suggested bio) and ended up dropping out after 1 yr. So now, I’m pretty sure i don’t want to study biology.

I went to a Poly to take the SPERS-JC test and thought the facilities were actually really cool and wouldn’t mind studying there. Could really use some advice or pointers.  Thanks.

Edit: Thank you for all the advice. Didn’t expect so many replies. Read all of them and I think I’ll just stick with Pioneer/Jurong JC.”
Shutterx
Shutterx
ATBCPJHJ !!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

“Poly is for idiots…Poly grads get ‘shitty’ jobs”, PR student’s dad advises to choose JC Empty Re: “Poly is for idiots…Poly grads get ‘shitty’ jobs”, PR student’s dad advises to choose JC

Post by satria_neo_2014 31st December 2015, 9:37 am

Actually, its nothing new, locals also think like that. I was from JC as well. I wanted to go poly but my parents forbid me. They say go poly cannot go uni.

satria_neo_2014
ATBCPJHJ !!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

“Poly is for idiots…Poly grads get ‘shitty’ jobs”, PR student’s dad advises to choose JC Empty Re: “Poly is for idiots…Poly grads get ‘shitty’ jobs”, PR student’s dad advises to choose JC

Post by goldwingseeker 31st December 2015, 9:38 am

i regret not going poly last time

goldwingseeker
ATBCPJHJ !!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_yang 31st December 2015, 9:39 am

different is poly had more practical and had internship in industrial .
mr_yang
mr_yang
Vietbu cpjhj!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by chuakboon 31st December 2015, 9:40 am

That's stupid. Go poly have fun first . Then go spu . . Then get a government job.  Y waste time go jc. Local u. End up go sell insurance
chuakboon
chuakboon
Moi ish noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 31st December 2015, 9:41 am

u satki doesnt matter u go where
i see many poly ppl damn satki, some uni grads tank like shit
dont blame the educational system, the laopeh also one pattern
Admin
Admin
Admin - Rebellion Leaders
Admin - Rebellion Leaders

https://edmw.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_yang 31st December 2015, 9:42 am

the background and the upbringing
mr_yang
mr_yang
Vietbu cpjhj!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by MyPillowTalks 31st December 2015, 9:44 am

Thats like saying people who drivr xxx brand cars don't know how to drive, better drive yyy brand cars. Laughing
MyPillowTalks
MyPillowTalks
Siambu cpjhj !!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan_bo 31st December 2015, 9:47 am

is up to individual.

i from rp. managed to get into local u. now still alive

Dan_bo
ATBCPJHJ !!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolyh 31st December 2015, 9:48 am

If you go to JC and you cmi.. thats it.

Nicolyh
Moi ish noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Shutterx 31st December 2015, 9:50 am

there are many examples of poly-Uni ppl who are earning alot of money.

the indian dad is myopic and taught his son bad things

Last edited by Shutterx on 31st December 2015, 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Shutterx
Shutterx
ATBCPJHJ !!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicolyh 31st December 2015, 9:50 am

Shutterx wrote:there are many examples of poly-Uni ppl who are earning alot of money.

yes agree. In the end is up to the individual

Nicolyh
Moi ish noob

Back to top Go down

Post by sayang_pillow 31st December 2015, 9:53 am

Remember most of the richest singaporeans are uni or poly grads ?
sayang_pillow
sayang_pillow
Siambu cpjhj !!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by stillgottheblues 31st December 2015, 9:57 am

Go JC better than Poly since he got good results.

stillgottheblues
Moi ish noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Guan084 31st December 2015, 9:58 am

O levels got A* one meh? not A1 or A2?
Guan084
Guan084
Crone

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbert the Pilot 31st December 2015, 10:03 am

I am thankful I took the JC path also, seriously it has helped me make a lot of things easier so far, esp in terms of career and uni entrance.

If I go poly with the kind of results I got in JC, there would be absolutely no way I'd make it to Uni at all.
Herbert the Pilot
Herbert the Pilot
Crone

Back to top Go down

Post by like_to_ask_question 31st December 2015, 10:08 am

my fren from poly, go uni be top student, then complete his phd. ...so what's wrong?

like_to_ask_question
Moi ish noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down