To all new users: We have moved to [edmw.xyz]. See you there!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Network Rail Boss Mark Carne To Turn Down Bonus

Go down

Network Rail Boss Mark Carne To Turn Down Bonus Empty Network Rail Boss Mark Carne To Turn Down Bonus

Post by The_King 31st December 2015, 8:41 pm

The rail executive says he will not take the payout after a bodged upgrade plan left thousands of people stranded at Christmas.

Network Rail's Mark Carne has told Sky News he will forego his bonus after passengers endured "totally unacceptable" travel chaos.

The chief executive was criticised after thousands of travellers had their journeys disrupted when engineering works over-ran.

London King's Cross had to shut and all trains to and from the station were cancelled.

Travellers then complained of "being locked" in by overcrowding when diverted to Finsbury Park station.

Paddington station also closed for several hours on Saturday.

Mr Carne said: "I'm accountable for the performance of the railway. In my view, the performance over the Christmas and New Year period was not acceptable."

"And I've decided I should not take the bonus for this year."

He insisted he had been dealing with the situation, despite being on holiday in Cornwall at the time.

Mr Carne can receive a 20% bonus on his £675,000 salary if Network Rail performs well.

However, earlier this week he said any bonus for 2014 would only be 5%.

Mr Carne told Sky there was "never a good time" to do the engineering work and that the £1bn improvement plan was vital to "keep the railway safe and improve its reliability".

Rail watchdog the Office of Rail Regulation is launching an investigation into the chaos.

The Department of Transport has also said it is "extremely disappointed" and has demanded an explanation.

TSSA rail union leader Manuel Cortes said more executives should also forego their right to a bonus.

"We welcome this decision by Mark Carne but, like many of his trains, it is running late - 72 hours late in this case.

"We hope that his fellow executives will now follow suit and announce they will also be giving up their large bonuses as well."

The_King
The_King
Siambu cpjhj !!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down